Thursday, May 2, 2013

The "Wants" and "Misses" of Studying Abroad

This is the "I cant wait" and the "I'm going to miss" post. I may add more to later posts, but today is one of those days.

I have two weeks left here. 

Next week I have my last classes and the next, finals. Then I am State side.

It's hitting me today because Will sent me a text, 

"I'm off to my last class in Italy!!"

Then the tears came. To be honest I haven't cried at all this semester over missing America or my family or being home sick. I guess I'm not that child I once was. But knowing that I'm saying goodbye to Will this weekend and that we only have a few moments left in Italy and that he will be leaving is making this whole semester-coming-to-a-close thing real.

Also. A couple of my roommates have started packing. 

Going home, or the prospect of it, gives me mixed emotions.

We all talk about what we are looking forward to most, which mainly consists of fast food and a clothes dryer.

But then I think about what I will miss about Italy when I get home...

So, to try and make sense of all of my thoughts I'm putting them in a post. Although I can only speculate at this moment what I will miss about Italy when I get home, I can give it a shot.


"I can't wait"

I can't wait to drive my car. 

Wherever I want. Whenever I want. This factors into so many different areas of my life. 

Although I absolutely LOVE taking trains here.... They have their negatives too. I surprised Will this week (yes, this was the second time, I had to try and redeem myself from the last surprise attempt) and ended up missing my train by literally a minute. I got to the station with enough time to buy a ticket and get on the train. But, Italy being inefficient, over half of the ticket machines were down. The lines where really long at the working machines and the tourists buying train tickets are just... so frustrating. So, by the time I bought my ticket I sprinted to validate it and as the ticket was punched the train pulled away. I had to wait over an hour to catch the next one. So I went shopping to pass the time, obvious choice.

Also, going to the supermarket here is not as easy (in my eyes) as in America. At home I can put on some shoes, hop in the car, and drive to the grocery store. Here, I have to be dressed a certain way. I have to deal with the "Ciao bella" and the beggars and the vendors shoving stuff in my face and the tourists clogging the streets. I love the fact that I walk everywhere here, but thinking about driving my car makes me want to tear up a little.

It also effects my spending. Walking is awesome, yes. But walking in Europe means window shopping. There is always something to catch your eye this is cute or flashy and ooh! only 20 euro.... story of my semester, and why I went shopping when I missed my train. At home, I drive, and I don't see shops I can easy pop into and be out of in 30 seconds. Here I don't have to get into the right lane, turn, park.. blah blah blah to shop and it is kind of irritating. I'm ready to be in the safety of my car where I spend money on gas, not clothing items.

I can't wait for everyone to speak English

I applied for a summer job at a Country Club in Amarillo (here's hoping to getting the job, Italy has taken ALL of my money) and got a call from them this week. I wanted to cry. The man was so sweet and he spoke perfect English. To be able to not only converse with someone, but know they are nice and kind and don't want to bite your head off because you are an idiot American gets extremely tiring. 

I can't wait for fast food (or just "American" food in general)

Yes. I went there. It's a low move, but it's true. My brother is picking my up from the airport and I've already told him we will be going to taco bell or chick fil a or somewhere on the way home. I crave the weirdest things here. Things I don't even eat when I'm home, but my body associates them with America and familiarity and I crave it. I want a cheeseburger and kraft mac and cheese and campbells soup (all things I eat regularly).

I can't wait to be in my house

...or in my home. My family is all going to be out of town when I get home. I'm really feeling the love. Actually, I am. Carson will pick me up from the airport and I'll have all the next day to myself. I haven't had alone time all semester and it is wearing hard on me. I need time by myself to rejuvenate and get my energy bucket full and my wallet full of people dollars. Here I just don't talk when I need that. Probably doesn't come off too great but when I can't even sit alone in my car.... bah. I can't wait for my car. Also, I've lived in a bathroom all semester. We have tiled floors and white walls. It literally feels like a bathroom. I can't wait for carpet and home cooked meals and warm place for my feet and clean dishes out of a dishwasher. To take warm towels out of the dryer and sit under them. To take anything, for that matter, out of the dryer. To be in the country. With nothing around. In nature. No more tall buildings and tiny sidewalks and cobblestone streets. I can look out my windows and see for miles. I can hardly wait!!!!!! 

I can't wait to use the dollar instead of the euro

Here it's easy to forget that everything is more expensive. In my mind 5 euro is like 5 dollars. That is not true. It's not until I spend over 25 or 30 euro that I start converting to the dollar. Or, when I take out money from the ATM. I just took out 250 euro, but my bank account at home has 335 less dollars in it. Awesome.

I can't wait for......

Well, at this point there are A LOT of "I can't wait"s. And relatively less "I will miss"


"I will miss"

I will miss my roommates

For all of you who prayed for my roommates, they have been such a blessing this semester. We all get a long, and for 6 random girls from all over America, that's saying something. There is usually someone who will go tackle a new adventure or errand with me when I don't have the confidence to go alone and need that little bit of "moral support".

I will miss traveling

I LOVE TRAVELING. It's been my favorite thing about the semester. Not only the people I've been able to travel with, but the different cultures and experiences I've encountered along the way. I love adventures and this semester has been just that. One long adventure. And I have traveled somewhere Every. Single. Weekend. for example......

(great segue right?!)

This weekend I went to Lerici. Will and I decided to take a just us day trip to the beach town of Lerici. It was short and sweet with time in the sun, a castle visit, and really yummy gelato. I had class on Friday and Will has finals this upcoming week and a meeting on Sunday. So I asked my Italian Professor where he would go if he was going to the beach. Lerici was his top pick and Will and I were not disappointed.




We took a train and a bus to get there and laid on the beach for a couple hours. And it was a sandy beach!!

View from the beach

Then we walked around the bay to the castle!



It's now a dinosaur museum.



Although the museum itself really wasn't any good, being in a castle and the views it gave us of the city and the ocean were well worth the 4 euro entrance fee.








And I've been in a black and white mood lately so I couldn't help myself...




Will and I thouroughly enjoyed ourselves and the town of Lerici. We both decided we were the only Americans. It was more of the place where the Italians go to get away. It was so nice to be out of the normal Florentine tourist scene.

Will leaves in a week :( and saying our goodbyes was difficult. It was saying goodbye to an entire semester together and new season. We will be 12 hours away due to our summer jobs and I won't see him for another 4 weeks. 



But going through finals and getting home and starting a job will make the time pass quickly. Also, PRAISE THE LORD, I got a summer job! I was called and hired while we were in Lerici this weekend! God provides and He never ceases to amaze me in His timing. I am trusting him that these last two weeks in Italy will also be His perfect timing.

I can't wait to be home.






No comments:

Post a Comment