Sunday, February 17, 2013

Classes, Valentines, and Romans

I went to the amazing city of Rome again this weekend! I don't think I will ever get enough of that city.

But. Before Rome, I have class updates! I know. Everyone LOVES hearing about school. Despite what you may think, I am actually here to study as well.

My historical painting class is freaking awesome! We made our own gesso this week! Which, if I had to describe it, is kind of like a primer you put on before you start painting. We also ground pigments!!!

Mixing pigment with water for the first step of making egg tempera
Who knew that all those years of making delicious pie dough with my mom would pay off when mixing paints. Just keep adding water little by little and mix the pigment in. I was the only one not to add too much water! Winning in the little things.

My Palaces of Florence class is also rocking my socks off (which is a great segway for a later topic).

Palazzo Devanzati. Original frescos. Dying.
Literally went to a palazzo for class. WHAT?! Is this for real? Every single wall in basically every room was painted intricately in this fashion.

Also, I dropped my sculpture class (thanks for talking me into it mom). And picked up Museology! Which I think is going to be really awesome!

As for my other classes... Beginning Italian is scary and my Ancient Rome class sucks because of the professor.

_____________________________

Allora, onto Valentine's day.

Where do I even start? Will is so amazing. He caught a train after his last class of the week and came to Florence to take me on a date out to dinner! He's so thoughtful. (Thank you Europe for providing cheap, fast public transportation)

And what a dinner. It was my first candlelight dinner. Super fancy right? And before we even got there he took to me the chocolate festival! 

My super handsome man. What a great Valentine he is!
I thought Will had no idea where this restaurant was he found online. He took me down a random tiny street off of the Arno and all of a sudden, there it was. He is so great with maps. Never once has he steered me wrong. He knows Florence better than I do. I know, It's a sad sad thing.

So this restaurant right? It was all locals and no one really spoke much English. So you know it has to be good. 

Best. Food. Ever. 

It's the best food I've had in Italy. And Will thought so too. Both of our dishes were phenomenal. Too bad I don't know where the place is or what it's called. Oops.

____________________________

Roma. 

There are no words. 

I think everyone has a different opinion of what Heaven will be. What Heaven is in my mind is experiencing whatever historical period you want. Viewing the culture and walking the streets and seeing the people. That's what my heart desires to see with the Roman Empire. 

What amazing builders and architects and artists and everything! 

Also we all thought it was pretty cool that we went to Rome the same week the Pope resigned! Obviously a big deal!

I left with API for the Rome excursion Friday at 7am! So. Early.

Me and my roommate Katie sleeping on the early morning bus ride
4 hours later (I wish I could've taken the train) we were in the Eternal City!

The view from the top of the Castel Sant'angelo

The Colosseum

One of my favorite views of Rome from the Colosseum

Roomies at the Spanish Steps

Classic

And.... winning.

At the front of the tour group like a boss

Enjoying wifi at the hotel. Bet you can't guess who I'm talking to!

Our hotel had carpet. GOD IS SO GOOD! My feet were in Heaven!


roomies at the top of the Castel Sant'angelo. With Vatican City behind us.

Drinking water like a pro!

Capitoline Hill
Colosseum
Jenn, Katie, and I went to look at churches Sunday morning (not the best idea) and passed the cutest clothing store ever. We ended up all buying the same blazer in a different color! Perfect!

Colosseum in our matching blazers!
Saw this beauty. And a lot of other Churches this weekend. We would pass by a random church and if the door was open, we walked in. Each and every one absolutely blew my mind and were so breathtakingly gorgeous!
St. Teresa in Ecstasy. Walked 30 minutes to see her. Walked in 5 minutes before Mass started. We have great timing!

Fun fact about this weekend to Rome. Will and his group came the same weekend! What are the odds?!  His cousin, Claire, studies in Rome and he came to see her on the same weekend I came with API. So, on Saturday during our free time I went and hung out with them. 

Actually, I might've skipped the tour of the Vatican. But, I just saw it 3 weeks ago. I ended up surprising Will at the train station, thanks to some help from his awesome roommate Jordan. So the Vatican is on the opposite side of Rome from Termini (the train station). I left the group and found/rode the metro all by myself to Termini. (Praise the Lord my dad and I came to Rome and rode the metro). Didn't get lost. Didn't get pick pocketed. Didn't buy a super cute leather backpack I saw on the way there. I'd say it was a success. And Will had no idea I was going to be there. So. Great.

We met up with Claire and had lunch and she took us around the city. It was so fun to meet her finally! And so great to have a guide who knew the city.

Colosseum

Trevi Fountain

Gelato. No words. 
Also. Something fun I learned about my new cheap boots. (insert segway here)

New cheap boots.
They wear holes in my socks. Every. Day. I ruined every pair of socks I wore this weekend. Even the double socks. I wore through both layers!

My toes. Playing peek-a-boo.
So. I guess I was excited when I bought a new pair of cheap, cute boots. But, now I will need to buy some new socks soon! Awesome.

Better news. As I have mentioned before. Fish Pub. The bar we live over that plays music from 10pm-2:30am. We were told today that we can call the police if it is too loud or gets too bothersome or plays too late at night (so basically we will be calling the police every night). We can also physically go to the police and file a report/compliant. 

Our new goal of the semester is to shut down Fish Pub due to noise. I'm all for it. So watch out Fish Pub. These Americans don't mess around. It's on like Donkey Kong.

Fish Pub. Consider yourself warned.

This weekend in Rome was amazing. Next weekend I'm going skiing in the Alps... WHAT?!!! My mind can not comprehend that one yet. Still working on it.

Ciao Ciao for now!









No comments:

Post a Comment