Sunday, February 10, 2013

Venezia

So. I went to Venice this weekend!

My favorite church in Venice. This is unfortunately as close as I got to it. 

You might have heard of the carnival there.

But, before Venice, I went to Arezzo for the afternoon to hang out with Will! We had a self defense lesson in Florence at 12 and there was train to Arezzo at 2:10 and 3:10. Naturally, I wanted to make the earlier train.

After the lesson we booked it back to the apartment... But I might have stopped along the way to buy a pair of boots. Sorry Will, a girl and her shoes.

Then I sprinted through Florence to the train station. I made the train and had a new pair of boots to face the weekend with!

New boots on the train!

As I have mentioned before. I absolutely love riding trains. I had a window seat, new shoes, music, and beautiful clear skies to accompany me to Arezzo.

Tuscany from the train.

Tuscany from the train.
And, if you don't already know, I'm the biggest romantic around. Running through the streets of Italy, sitting on a train through the country side, and seeing my handsome man waiting for me at the platform literally made my heart melt.

Will took me around the town and we also picked up groceries for supper. Went to the supermaket and the butcher. Even got a piadina to snack on.

We walked up the hill Arezzo is built on and marveled at God's creation.

View from the top of Arezzo

Will cooked dinner for me (and his roommates). But still, come on! He's so amazing! Veal, eggs, and potatoes. Yum!

He's so cute cooking supper!
So... Venice.

Ya.

It was insane.

There were so many people.

Eight of us traveled to Venice via train.

Sunrise on the train from Arezzo to Bologna


The train from Bologna to Venice was jam packed. Will and I sat on the floor in an isle of the train car for 2 hours. It was ridiculous and a crazy experience. Some of the group stood the whole two hours!

Venice consisted of walking through ridiculously crowded streets and shopping at awesome mask shops! Basically, every other store sold masks. And there were some absolutely phenomenal masks!

We rocked our awesome carnivale masks! (Both of them ended up breaking, but hey, we are college students traveling on a cheap budget! And they were fun either way)
I love Venice because every single building is different. It is so beautiful. But, other than that, the water is sewage.. which is what the city is built on. 




This is our hostel.. That little crooked door at the end of this tiny street (a choice word) was the entrance. It was awesome!


Some carnevale enthusiasts at San Marco



San Marco. Didn't get the chance to tour it, I guess that's what I get going to Venice during carnevale.



The Grand Canal

Will and I on a bridge over the Grand Canal

We had an awesome, short stay in Venice. So crazy that I am able to travel to Venice for a day! Will spent the evening with me in Florence tonight when we got back. Which, is hosting the chocolate festival for the next 10 days... WHAT?!! I know. Awesomeness. 

chocolate covered strawberries and hot chocolate for the win.

We also completed a super market run, pasta for supper, and gelato for dessert! So yummy! Thanks for spending the evening with me Will!

Had a good weekend. Bought new boots, experienced carnevale, went to the chocolate festival and even made it back to Florence with my keys! 

Success.





No comments:

Post a Comment