Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Firenze!

At last! I made it to Florence! Although, I will have you know that while I was in Rome I discovered that I have an Italian pop-star look alike and her co-singer begged me to sing with him at the colosseum! But really! (Lizzie McGuire Movie reference for all you Disney Channel 90's kids!)

But, even so, I left Roma on Monday by train. Yes, my dad and I made it successfully through the train station and onto the train with ALL of our luggage! Although we did get some crazy looks from the locals.

Riding the train here is literally my favorite thing to do in the entire world! I can't wait to ride another one! I think if I'm ever bored (highly unlikely) I will buy a last minute train ticket to some rando Italian town and ride there and back for the day! Its so soothing and peaceful and beautiful.

View from the morning train ride

Florence is beautiful, in case you had your doubts. 

Yesterday I met my roommates. 

In front of the Duomo. Left to right: Jenn, me, and Katie (who I will be sharing my room with)

There are 6 of us in a 3 bedroom apartment. Its located in the Mercato Centrale. that's the CENTRAL MARKET of the city people! We decided we won the best apartment location. It's only a couple blocks from the Duomo, train station, and our classes! The market is so awesome! It has fresh anything you want (even somethings you dont want, like unidentifiable animals). We also have a gelato shop right below our apartment. Yes. We win! 

We move into our apartments in the morning, so we will see how the place looks from the inside! 

The past two days have been filled with walking and beautiful sites, and boring orientation sessions. We also have a cooking class tomorrow, which I am so pumped about! Although, let's be honest, I'm already getting tired of having pasta for every single meal. 

Highlight of the day... I got a haircut!! I know, living life on the edge. It was so much fun! The lady that cut my hair did not speak any English. She had to get another lady to come translate for her before she started cutting. And after that, there was no turning back. I could not find any rhyme or reason to how she was cutting my hair. She would just take random chunks and snip away. 

Cutting, cutting, cutting!

I now look super European and will soon have the shoes to complete the look! I can't wait to get my next haircut!

So, like I mentioned before, a lot of walking has happened since my arrival to Europe. Which, came as no surprise to me. But, apparently my feet have yet to receive the memo. I also realized the boots I've worn all week are about 4 years old or more! and they do not have the best arch support, or really any support. I'm still keeping my eyes out for those perfect pair of boots! Which is great because right now is saldi, a sale that happens twice a year in Italy. It ends at the end of this month. I literally have two days to find shoes on super sale! But do not fret, there are shoe stores on every corner here! 

Did I mention my roommate Katie is an Art Major?! STOP IT GOD!! Why are you so good to me? And she isn't one of those weird, hairy, pot smoking, hippie art majors either! The whole 24 hours I've known her she seems to be SUPER awesome! So, I know so many of you prayed for my roommates and, so far, Katie is any answer to every prayer! During our tour of Florence today both of us were just in awe of the beauty and art and... everything. We've already been to one museum and plan on going to every single one in Florence. Thanks API for giving us a card that gets us in free to basically every museum in the city.

On our tour of the city, Katie and I realized we were the only 2 out of the 17 in our group that actually cared about what our tour guide was saying. She was so nice and toward the end of the short two hour tour she would mainly just talk in the direction of Katie and me when addressing the group. It was so great! I can't wait to explore the city more. Especially with my new art appreciating friend Katie! (But seriously, Praise the Lord for his provision!)

New goal for the semester. Run a half marathon. There is one in Florence in April! It is giving me motivation to work out again! Just what I needed. I feel like I need to tell you this so I will have some type of accountability to train and run the half. Thanks for looking out for me!

My dad leaves super early in the morning! Let's hear it for the Best Daddy of the Year!! 

Me and my Daddy all around Europe!

So blessed that he came with me to Europe and took me so many wonderful places! Love you dad you're the best!

On an entirely new subject!!! WILL IS COMING TO FLORENCE ON THURSDAY! I haven't seen that sweet boy in 24 days (but who's counting). I can not wait to see him! YAY YAY YAY!

Also. I'm going to Paris this weekend with him and some of his friends! Be ready for a lot of Art Lessons with Paris when I get back because I'm going to the Louvre! I'm literally dying on the inside! 

And with that phrase basically summing up the past week of my life, I must go to sleep. Moving to my apartment at 8:30 will come very early in the morning! 

Ciao!!!






No comments:

Post a Comment