Sunday, January 27, 2013

The Eternal City

After missing our connection in Frankfurt on Friday night and leaving on a 7am flight to Rome yesterday morning, we finally arrived in Italia!!

Adios Amarillo. Buon Giorno Roma!


Seven years ago I fell in love with the city of Rome. Today and yesterday I have rekindled that love and can not wait to come back again in 3 weeks! We walked all over this beautiful city and proved you can see all the big sites in a mere one and a half days. It was a whirlwind.

And now, it is with great pleasure that I picture vomit Rome all over you!


SATURDAY 1.26.2013

First stop: Colosseum
It's right around the corner from our hostel!

Colosseum!

Colosseum!
Arch of Constantine

Roman Forum

Roman Forum. Arch of Trajan.

Column of Marcus Aurelius. 


Pantheon

Pantheon. Fun fact, last time I was in Rome I didn't actually go inside (idk why it's free to get in) and I've regretted it ever since. But, I went in this time! YAY!

Trevi Fountain

Wishing at Trevi

Spanish Steps

SUNDAY 1.27.2013

Went to the Vatican today. It is usually closed on Sundays, except for the last Sunday of every month when it is free to the public. So we went with the rest of Rome to see the museum. It was insane the amount of people there.

Vatican Museum. This guy.
Diskobolos. Vatican Museum.
I saw him 3 times today all in different places! the original doesn't exist anymore. 

Sistine Chapel. oops.. might've accidentally left my camera on.

Sistine Chapel. oops.. might've accidentally left my camera on.
Climbed to the top of the dome of St. Peter's Basilica

on the top of the roof of the Basilica. Previous picture taken from top of the dome behind me

Above the interior of the Basilica. There was also a Mass in session while we were there, since it was Sunday morning

St. Peter's Basilica
Don't freak out... but there's a super dead guy in there!!!

This is one of the reasons I love St. Peter's Basilica. The light that comes through it. I remember this vividly from my last visit and absolutely loved seeing it again today. It is so majestic.









Me. 
Vatican City

Dad.


We also went to the National Museum. A huge difference from the Vatican as there was NO ONE there. It was so great! A Sunday night, just us and wonderful art! Couldn't be more happy.


National Museum. This guy. Another art piece I love. Probably more than the bust of Caracalla.. i know right? I studied this sculpture last semester. This guy is so legit! He's a boxer. an OLD boxer. Greeks were really big on showing men and women in their prime, highly stylized and beautiful. So when this new style of art became popular in Hellenistic Greece it was a huge deal! He is obviously worn out from a match, or practice as seen by the expression on his face. What you cant see is the detail on his body. His face is swollen in places from being hit, he has cuts and scrapes all over his face and body... he even has cauliflower ear. ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!!! Cauliflower ear. For real. I absolutely love this piece and I had no idea I would ever see it! Day. Made. 

National Museum. This sarcophagus speaks for itself. Wow.
Primavera Fresco. I learned about this fresco last semester and oh my. Seeing it today was unreal. It was HUGE and so beautiful and all there! 
Tomorrow morning we head out for Florence! My final destination for the semester. We are traveling by train. With 6 pieces of luggage. Hopefully it will be an experience we can both look back on and laugh at. 

Stay tuned!




No comments:

Post a Comment