Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Packing: It's a Process

I am studying abroad. Finally. Except I still have a few obstacles in my way. Boxes.

2 weeks from now I will leave the U S of A and embark on a 5 month adventure in Florence. That's right. Italy.



As an Art Major I am ecstatic to be immersed in the art scene that is Italian culture. After 9 hours of Art History classes I am ready to apply my studies to the real world. See the art with my own eyes. Experience it first hand. But.. before I get ahead of myself, let us not forget these boxes.

I've moved around once or twice, or 4 times, in college. I am now at my 4th college and have moved home once again, this time to study abroad. By the end of this spring 2013 semester I will have my 6th college transcript. Crazy, I know. But I am all about having an adventure.




So unpacking. I should be pro-status. Confession: I'm not. Who is really motivated to unpack anyways? And once I unpack I just get to repack again... wait. Didn't I just do this 3 weeks ago when I packed up my apartment to move home? Thought so.

I think it is time for my confession to go a little deeper. What these boxes piled up in my room really symbolize.

Fear.

I know, I know, studying abroad is a grand adventure and I am so thrilled to have the opportunity. But I would by lying if I said I wasn't somewhat afraid. The truth is, I am terrified. I am going to Europe alone. I don't know anyone in my group. I don't know who my roommates are, where I will be living, and did I mention I don't know any Italian? I'm sure to stand out as the only Texan in my group and, of course, a blubbering American idiot (to the locals).

I think it is the change that I am most afraid of. I have experienced change throughout my entire undergraduate career. 

New states. New cities. New schools. New roommates. New friends. 

But, each time I move I am that much richer in friendships and experiences, and that is what I am holding on to. I always hear of people's study abroad experiences and how life changing they are and about the people they meet. I am excited. 

To unpack the mountain of boxes in my room is to accept the realization that I am for real going to Florence. For 5 months. On an adventure of a lifetime. 

Sometimes I catch myself wondering, "What were you thinking?" But, then I rest in the fact that my plans are not mine. My Savior knows the plans He has for me and in that I can find my peace. 
Psalm 32: 7-8

As for the boxes... I guess I should start unpacking.






No comments:

Post a Comment